As a parent, it’s devastating to watch your young adult child struggle with addiction. You are not alone and there’s a wealth of treatment for young adults within the Kent area available, find out more below.
Whether it’s alcoholism, vaping, gambling, smoking, or any other substance abuse, it’s often heart-wrenching, you may feel powerless and unsure of how to help. As a loving and responsible parent, it’s essential to take action and support your child through this difficult time.
Educate yourself about addiction
To start, educate yourself about addiction. Learn about the signs and symptoms, and research various treatment options. This will help you better understand your child’s struggle and how you can support them.
Encourage your child to seek help, but remember that it’s ultimately up to them to take the first step. Speak to your young adult about the dangers of addiction and how important it is to seek professional help. Show them that you’re there for them, and that you’ll support them throughout their recovery journey. You may want to discuss the consequences of youth substance abuse in a gentle caring way. Choose your time to talk about issues wisely, don’t push things in a time of conflict, wait until the atmosphere is relaxed.
Support your child through the recovery process by attending counselling sessions with them, helping them find support groups, and being a shoulder to lean on during tough times. Let them know that they’re not alone, and that you’ll be there every step of the way.
- Attend Counselling Sessions: Counselling sessions can be an excellent tool for addiction recovery, providing a safe and supportive space for your child to explore their feelings and work through challenges. By attending counselling sessions with your child, you can show your support and encouragement for their recovery journey, and also gain a better understanding of the issues they are facing.
- Help Them Find Support Groups: Support groups can be a vital source of encouragement and guidance for individuals in addiction recovery. As a parent, you can help your child find support groups in Kent, where they can connect with others who are going through similar experiences. Encourage them to attend meetings regularly and offer to accompany them if needed.
- Be a Shoulder to Lean On: Recovery from addiction is a challenging and often emotional process, and your child may need a lot of support and encouragement along the way. Make sure to be there for them during tough times, listening to their concerns and offering words of encouragement. Let them know that they are not alone and that you are committed to supporting them every step of the way.
- Encourage Healthy Habits: Recovery from addiction is not just about abstaining from drugs or alcohol but also about developing healthy habits and routines. Encourage your child to eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly, and engage in activities that they enjoy. These activities can help boost their mood and reduce stress, making it easier to stay on the path of recovery.
While it’s important to offer support, it’s also crucial to set boundaries and enforce consequences if your young adult continues to use drugs. Limit their access to money or other resources, and establish clear rules and consequences for breaking them.
Take care of your own mental health
Finally, don’t forget to take care of yourself. Supporting a young adult struggling with addiction can take a toll on your emotional and physical well-being. Seek support from family, friends, or a therapist if needed.
there are several help groups, charities, and websites in Kent that can help with addiction in young adults. Here are a few examples:
- Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust – This organisation provides mental health and social care services across Kent and Medway, including substance misuse services for young people and adults.
- Forward Trust – This charity provides support, treatment, and rehabilitation for people with drug and alcohol addictions in Kent and other areas of the UK.
- Kent County Council – This website provides information on local drug and alcohol services in Kent, including support for young people.
- With You Kent – Provides specialist support for young people affected by substance misuse in Kent.
- Change Grow Live – support adults who live in the districts of Dartford, Gravesham, Maidstone, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge & Malling, and Tunbridge Wells.
- Better Help – the world’s largest network of licensed, accredited, and experienced therapists who can help you with a range of issues including depression, anxiety, relationships, trauma, grief, and more 100% online.
These are just a few examples of the many organisations and resources available in Kent to support young adults struggling with addiction. It may also be helpful to speak with a healthcare provider or local mental health professional for additional resources and support.
In conclusion, being a responsible and caring parent to a young adult struggling with addiction in Kent requires education, encouragement, support, boundaries, and self-care. Remember that recovery is possible with the right resources and support, and never lose hope in your child’s ability to overcome their addiction. If you would like to chat confidentially with The Recovery Lodge team call 01795 431751